Tuesday, July 7, 2009

We're Home

Mallory was discharged earlier today. She came out of surgery around 10:40. We stayed in recovery for a while and then was moved into another room. The doctor told me that the perforation was bigger than expected but he was able to completely repair it. He also said her second ear bone was very soft due to previous ear infections. He said he wanted to monitor that as well.

When I first came into recovery I was really worried. She was still sleeping but quickly awoke. She immediately started crying. She didn't stop for nearly two hours. She was obviously in pain but she also hated having the IV in and she didn't (and still doesn't) like wearing an ear cup. The ear cup is designed to protect her ear from mishaps as well as absorbing blood. It is fastened by a headband that goes around her forehead. I think it is uncomfortable.

Mallory thankfully has been resting well. Her pain medication seems to be strong and really working. She has slept most of the day and when she awoke this evening, was ready to do some light playing and conversing.

I'll be home with her until Thursday and on Friday Daniel will continue her care. I will post additional updates each day.

Thank you for your concern. I wasn't supposed to use my phone while in the hospital but managed one or two calls.

3 comments:

Anna T. Ham said...

Becky, thanks for your comment about our recent beach trip. I will be sure to show Daniel. He thinks Mallory looks just like him and acts like me.

Grandma Y said...

We are so relieved to know you are home and the surgery was successful. Hope recovery will be swift and the pain will go away soon. You all are still in our prayers.

Aunt Peggy said...

ditto what Grandma Y said!