Monday, May 17, 2010

The Fight Is Finished

Well, its over-- for this year. I'm referring to my ongoing battle with Wacona Elementary. I guess it wasn't really a fight, I just had expectations. The problem: they are lazy, unprofessional, and ineffective. All detrimental to my daughter and other students receiving special education services--if you ask me. And yes, I have shared these feelings with the teachers, the administration, and finally the special education director. Can you guess how popular I am?

I'm going to count this year as a victory. Truthfully, Mallory has learned a lot. Her reading skills amaze me, her math has improved, and she has learned some science and social studies facts.

The true success: Mallory will continue to advance during the summer. She is scheduled to receive speech and occupational therapy for 7 weeks over the vacation. She will also get some tutoring sessions. I contribute this success to my position with Babies Can't Wait, my knowledge of special education services and the special education laws. Knowledge is powerful and all parents need to fully understand their options and their parental rights--at least in Ware County.

1 comments:

Grandma Y said...

It's hard to believe another school year is ending.I hope the summer sessions go well for Mallory & next year will be a good one.