Thursday, September 3, 2009

Kindergarten is Tough

Mallory is still adjusting to kindergarten--this is me being positive. She likes going better and is showing some improvement but her teacher seems to be full of complaints. Last week every student was placed in a reading group according to their level. Mallory was automatically placed in the lowest level due to her IEP and her speech and OT services. OF COURSE, I immediately reminded her teacher that Mallory knows all of her letters, their sounds, and can phonetically spell. She has been placed in the middle group. Jeez, they don't even give some kids a chance. This move was important because in the lowest group, they are still working on August concepts. However, the kids in this group will go through the same rigorous testing as kids in the other groups and will be graded/judged the same way.

Today Mallory's teacher wrote on a worksheet, that Mal must have refused to complete, "cannot follow directions." OF COURSE I have already written my own note asking the teacher to remain positive regarding Mallory's academic ability and I reminded her of the progress that has already been made.

Right now we are working on recognizing the cube and sphere within the environment, patterns, and reading two worded sentences with a picture. I think this is going to be a long year.

I'm also going to contact our pediatrician regarding specialized testing to check for learning disabilities. Mallory still has a lot of trouble with her writing, cutting, etc. The OT and myself think she has a visual perception problem.

Tomorrow I start my job duty training, which means no more orientation!

3 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

Tell Mallory to hang in there! Kindergarten is a big transition, and it takes some time to get use to it.

Aunt Peggy said...

I agree with the Sanders family. You hang in there, too! What kind of two word sentences (or whatever you said) are we talking about here? Is she supposed to recognize words already?

Anna T. Ham said...

Yes, she has sight words that she already knows. Mostly color words but other common words such as like, little, play, the, and end. They also combine words with pictures to make a complete sentence. She can do this, for the most part, if the bribe is worthy.....