Sunday, September 7, 2008

Georgia Budget Cuts

You folks in TN or FL probably have not heard how bad our state budget is, so let me tell you. It is REAL bad. In fact, each agency had to immediately reduce spending by 6%. If you have read Lealane's blog, you would have seen that our daycare is closing as a result. Luckily Mallory started Pre-K this year but she was scheduled to return to that daycare during holiday breaks and summer vacations. I have not yet found a replacement.

To make matters worse, budget cuts have hit my state agency hard. In fact, it hit close to home. I work in the Supported Employment Program. My program serves both mental health and MR consumers. We have 5 job coaches and 1 case manager. I am the case manager and my case load consists of only MR people. Our job coaches that serve the mental health consumers were eliminated last week. Their last day is sometime in October. It is really sad and it is scary to realize how unsafe a state position can be. I only hope that this round of budget cuts will be enough to rectify our budget, if not we will be forced to reduce an additional 4%. This reduction will effect the MR side (my side and possibly my job).

2 comments:

Janice said...

Hey you changed your background. Yes I noticed the photo in the Waycross magazine. Next time I will not wear black for photos.

Anna T. Ham said...

I'm glad someone noticed my new background!