Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Baby Is Growing Up

Warning for Lealane---DO NOT make a certain comment (I know you are dying to make after reading this title!!!)

Today we went to open house at Mallory's new school. Beginning August 4, 2008, Mallory will be a Pre-K student at D.A.F.F.O.D.I.L. We met her teacher tonight. Her name is Mrs. Woodard and Mallory went right to her and hugged her. Afterwards, she instantly started exploring the classroom. She played in the housekeeping area, built with blocks, pulled out dolls, costumes, and various art supplies. This classroom uses the high-scope curriculum, which focuses on learning through play so it has many different play centers. For example, it has a book center, art center, dramatic play center, computer center, writing table, and a house keeping area. I think this environment is ideal because Mallory still doesn't remain focused on any one activity for longer than 3 minutes. The teacher also told me that they change the room often to reflect themes and holidays. Although they play in centers for about half of the day, they do have small and large group time that will be instruction based so maybe she will learn how to sit still and concentrate!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to say it (even though I am thinking it)